Public Health in 4 Simple Steps
As you may or may not know, Public Health is classified by the University as a professional major. Much like the Nursing and Business UA programs. After meeting certain prerequisites, students apply to the professional major of Public Health and then take remaining coursework. Here are the steps you can works towards to be on track for graduation.
01 Complete the Prerequisite Classes!
In order to apply to the professional major you need to have 5 or fewer credits remaining in the following prerequisite coursework:
- Two semesters of First Year Composition (ENGL 101, 101A, 107 & ENGL 102, 108 OR ENGL 109H)
- Two semesters of a Second Language (or demonstrated competence to this level)
- College Algebra or higher (MATH 112 or Higher)
- Two semesters of Chemistry with a lab (CHEM 130/130L & Selective Science OR CHEM 151 & 152 OR CHEM 161/163 & 162/164)
- One semester of Biology with a lab (MCB 181R & MCB 181L)
- One semester of Nutrition (NSC 101)
- Personal Health and Wellness (HPS 178)
- Introduction to Public Health (HPS 200)
Please note that you do need to earn a minimum of a C grade in every prerequisite course. Your goal is to have completed or currently be taking enough classes that you have 5 or fewer prerequisite credits remaining.
02 Maintain a 2.0 GPA!
In order to make the transition into Advanced Standing you need to have a UA GPA of 2.000 or higher. This is a firm GPA requirement.
03 Consider the Timing of your Application
How do you know it's time for you to apply for major admission?
It is time if:
- You have met the prerequisite requirements.
- You'd like to make progress towards graduation and wish to start taking 400-level courses. Due to demand, public health 400 level classes are restricted to students in the professional major. In order to not delay graduation, be sure to allow for a minimum of two semesters in the professional major.
Main campus students: when classified as part of the professional major, there is differential tuition of a $50/credit. Talk with your academic advisor about a strategy for your application timing so that you can maximize opportunities that come from being in the major.
04 Complete the Application!
The application to Advanced Standing is found here (note that there are application deadlines for each semester).